Kiefer Sutherland Biography
Name: Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland
Birthdate: December 21, 1966
Birthplace: St. Mary's Hospital; Paddington; London, England
Eyes: Two different colors, I've been told they are blue and green.
Mother: Shirley Douglas (actress)
Father: Donald Sutherland (actor)
Siblings: Twin Sister Rachel, 3 half-brothers, Roeg, Rousif and Angus Redford
Relationships: Currently Single
Married to Kelly Winn June 28, 1996, filed for divorce March 13, 2000 but not officially divorced. Re-filed May 2004
Married Camelia Kath in 1988, divorced February 1990
Dated dancer Amanda Rice in 1991
Engaged to Julia Roberts whom he met in 1990, scheduled to marry June 14, 1991
Sarah Jude born 1988 to Camelina Kath
Timothy - Step Son born 1993 to Kelly Winn
Julian - Step Son born 1990 to Kelly Winn
Michelle Kath - Step daughter born to Camelina Kath
Bits and Pieces:
Kieferís Parents divorced when he was 4 years old and he moved with his mother to Canada from LA. He didn't see too much of his dad and didn't really know how big of a star Donald was until he was a bit older. At age 9, young Kiefer started doing acting workshops while he was in school. He was a track star at school and ended up being one of the top runners in Ontario. He was soon taken by acting, dropping out of St. Andrew's College, a prestigious boy's school in Aurora, Ontario at age 15. His early credits include a walk-on that Donald got him in Max Dougan Returns and the lead role in the Canadian film The Bay Boy. Kiefer won his first acting award from this role, a Genie. After this Kiefer quit his job as a waiter and left for the big time in New York City with some friends. They rented a less than desirable apartment and within 2 days Kiefer was offered a gig on a soap opera for over $100,000 a year. This wasn't his taste, though, he wanted to do movies. He went to an agent and said that he would turn down that offer if the agent took him on as a client. The agent agreed but then Kiefer went unemployed for an entire year. During this year he put his friends through theater school but at the end he took some advice from a friend, got in his '69 Mustang (called Lucy) and went to LA. There he lived on a beach for three months in his car because he was broke, but the advantage was they had public showers. In that time he picked up 3 deals, one in the Steven Spielberg TV series, Amazing Stories for one episode, another in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and the last and biggest, a role in Stand By Me, where he played 'Ace'.
His twin sister is a post-production supervisor in Toronto
- He was called 'Reefer' by classmates in high school
- Engagement to Julia Roberts possibly broke off due to her leaving for Europe with his friend from Lost Boys Jason Patric
- Kiefer's Grandad was Tommy Douglas, the leader of the first elected socialist government in North America. He was premier of Saskatchewan from 1944 to 1961 and is known as father of Canada's Government funded medical system. Douglas was recently voted "The Greatest Canadian".
- While taking breaks from acting, Keifer won rodeos in Phoenix and Albirquerque in the late 1990s
- Plays hockey for a celeb team.
- Is involved in the (Denis) Leary Firefighters Fund so support NY Fire Fighters.
- Kiefer earned 1st place in the US Team Roping Championships
- His first name came from Warren Kiefer, Pen name of Lorenze Sabatini who directed Castello dei morti vivi (1964) (or Castle of the Living Dead) in which Donald made his theatrical film debut
- founded "Still Water Productions" which Kiefer named after a river that ran through his Montatna ranch
- Co-Owns a record company called "Ironworks Music" with his friend Jude Cole. The pair help musicians that may not fit the regular music industry's idea of a star get a contract to record music. They currently have a contract with, among others, Lifehouse.
- Wore a kilt at one of his weddings to honor families Scottish heritage and to his step-daughter (Michelle Kath's) wedding.
- Kiefer is Canadian!
- Kiefer was named 'GQ Man of the Year for a TV Drama' at the 2002 GQ Men of the Year Awards on October 18, 2002
-Was so emotional about the part he played in the movie An Eye for an Eye (Robert Doob), that he became physically ill after some of the takes. How he became so convincing as that disturbing character: Imagined what the scariest person that could be on the other side of the door from his own daughter and then 'went' there.
-The movie Phone Booth paralleled the sniper attacks in Washington which is why the opening was postponed
- Won Golden Globe in 2002 for his work on 24
- His half brother Rousif Redford is a 2003/4 cast member on ER
- Got a tattoo on the inside of his left arm for the third season of 24
-Got a tattoo on the inside of his right arm in 2005 that reads "I Trust You To Kill Me" in Icelandic. It's the name of Rocco DeLucca's new album.
-Apparently enjoys goofing around on set of 24, for example: "We sometimes take scenes and try and make a musical out of them." and "There was a moment in season four where I'm climbing up the side of the Chinese consulate, and my gun falls out of my pocket and goes off and shot me in the ass.
- Favorite beverages: Coca Cola and Scotch Whiskey
- Favorite actors: Dustin Hoffman, Sean Penn, Robert Duvall, Peter O'Toole, Gene Hackman, Michael J Fox and his dad
- Favorite cigarette: Camel Light
- Skills: Plays guitar, cooks, horseback rides, ice skates and plays pool
I know how Charlie (Sheen) feels, I've lost all feeling in my lower half"
on winning a Golden Globe
"The most attractive thing in a woman is a sense of humor"
"If I get nailed for something stupid, I'd better be able to laugh at it or I learned nothing while I was away"
"I've been in a bunch of bands and that's what I wanted to do, but I just wasn't good enough, so now I collect guitars."
"It's easy to take the most important thing in your life for granted. It can be gone before you realize how important it was."
"I can't count the number of times I wished I was Harrison Ford..."
As Athos in The Three Musketeers: "You fight like a man; lets see if you can drink like one."
Dartangon: "I'll drink anything you put in front of me."
Athos: "Famous last words."
As Nelson in Flatliners "Hello. I'm nice, he's nice, we're both fucking lunatics. Can I come in please?"
The Reluctant Fundamentalist - 2013
Touch (TV) - 2012
Melancholia - 2011
The Confession (Web Only) - 2011
Marmaduke - 2010
Twelve - 2010
Monsters Vs. Aliens - 2009
Mirrors - 2008
Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight - 2007
The Sentinel - 2006
River Queen - 2005
The Wild (Voice) - 2005
Taking Lives - 2004
The Land Before Time X, The Great Longneck Migration (Voice)- 2003
Dead Heat - 2002
Paradise Found - 2002
Phone Booth -2002
Behind the Red Door - 2002
Desert Saints - 2002
Cowboy Up - 2001
To End All Wars - 2001
Beat - 2000
Picking Up The Pieces - 2000
The Right Temptation - 2000
LA Confidential (TV) - 2000 (Purchase DVD)
Ground Control - 1999
Woman Wanted - 1999
Watership Down (TV/Voice) - 1999
After Alice -1999
Dark City -1998
Killing Time -1998
A Soldiers Sweetheart -1998
Truth or Consequences, N.M. -1997
The Last Days of Frankie the Fly -1997
A Time To Kill -1997
Amitage III: Poly Matrix (Voice) - 1997
Eye for an Eye -1996
Duke of Groove (TV) - 1996
The Cowboy Way -1994
Teresa's Tattoo -1994
The Vanishing -1993
Last Light -1993
Three Musketeers -1993
Twin Peaks:Fire Walk With Me -1992
A Few Good Men -1992
Amazing Stories: Book 1 (Voice) - 1992
Article 99 -1992
Trapped in Silence -1990
Young Guns II -1990
Chicago Joe and the Showgirl -1990
The Nutcracker Prince (Voice) - 1990
Bright Lights, Big City -1988
Young Guns -1988
The Killing Tie -1987
The Lost Boys -1987
Promised Land -1987
Crazy Moon -1986
Brotherhood of Justice (TV) - 1986
Stand By Me -1986
Trapped in Silence (TV) - 1986
At Close Range - 1986
The Bay Boy -1984
Max Dugan Returns -1983
Truth or Consequences, NM